Green Dot paired up with Hollaback! to create a plan for being an active bystander with street harassment. Here are some examples of ways you can stand up to harassment when you see it happening around you:
Direct Green Dots
- “Hey knock it off”
- Tell the person you will call the cops if they don’t put that thing away.
- “Are you ok”
- Go stand next to the person being targeted so they know they are not alone.
- Ask the target, “Are they bothering you?”
- Take a picture with your phone
- Look disapprovingly at the person doing the harassing behavior
- Offer to get off at the next stop with the target and catch the next train together.
- “Get away from her/him”
- Don’t join in or laugh.
- Loudly say “ugh, that is so gross”
- Talk to your friend later about why you thought what they did or said was uncool
- Ask the target if there is anything you can do to help
- Tell the harasser you saw some cops on the corner and you are worried they will get in
- trouble if they don’t stop.
- Tell the target that the harassing behavior wasn’t ok and you are sorry it happened.
Delegate Green Dots
- Find the Foreman on the construction site
- Call the police
- Tell a transit authority worker
- Yell “Somebody do something!!!!!”
- Get a group together to intervene
- Text a friend who is on the subway with you and ask them to HELP!
- Make eye contact with some other bystanders and ask, “What should we do to help?”
Distract Green Dots
- Ask for directions
- Offer the target your seat
- Start a flash mob
- Act like you know the target and say “I’ve been looking everywhere for you – we have to hurry to meet our other friends”
- Drop your bags to create a commotion
- “Accidentally” spill your coffee